Ultra 10 Update… a bit.


Ultra 10 got a small facelift, a different PSU, and some other stuff last night. Considering dropping a website on it… looking into how I’m going to do that.

I put a funny twitter for it up too a bit ago at http://twitter.com/Sun_Ultra10.


Sun Ultra 10. ‘Nuff said.

So I got a Sun Ultra 10 from a friend moving to Europe.

Said friend also gave me an SGI indy and Octane… but those are still in storage until I have the proper room to set them up and test them.

Ultra 10.

There’s not a lot I can say about it. it has a couple hard drives now, a 250GB boot and a 30GB I’m probably going to turn into a secondary drive and swap drive… a DVD burner up from a regular CD drive, two USB cards, and a re-pasted UltraSPARC IIi 440MHz. This was the Creator 3D model, however I omitted my C3D card as it’s getting shipped to a friend for his whom can make better use of it than I. I’m more interested in the onboard video anyway, as that has a fairly stable, tried and true framebuffer kernel driver for Linux. the Creator3D card… Dunno.

I don’t plan on running Slowaris on this at any time in the near future.

Some things I’ve had to do to it so far, including thus aforementioned:

  • Replace 250W PSU– would trip the 20A breaker… Wonderful. Swapped in an Enermax 480W PSU from around 2006-ish… a very beefy one at that– 2mm thick aluminum casing!
  • Replaced the main 20GB Maxtor replacement drive (they originally had a Segaate) with a 250GB hard drive, and a 30GB secondary Maxtor diamondmax 8 drive. replaced the IDE cables with 80-conductor as well, and the DVD drive.
  • thermal compound re-do on the IIi 440. need to get new pads for the cache chips.
  • added USB cards for USB ports for no real reason… yet.
  • removed the UPA C3D card, as it’s not needed.

and lastly, but most importantly… and surprisingly… replace 7 capacitors immediately next to the CPU module.

4 of the 7 had blown their tops a bit and had gone puffy… and one that should have blown its top pooped its pants!


Totally ended up fixing this. replaced all 7 with 7 caps off an old 2003-ish MSI board. same voltage, same capacitance.


and finally, a look at the inside, a few days ago. don’t have any newer shots, but you get the gist of it.

WP_20150531_017 WP_20150531_018

and a picture of what I’m greeted with at bootup. Got around the blank MAC by telling the sunhme driver the actual ethernet address when it’s loaded using the macaddr= argument. if you look up sunhme.c on google you can get more of a gist into how that works.


More on this miraculous behemoth later on. I’m running a linux-bench run on it, it’s going to be fun to see what it scores.

EDIT: here’s the parser code for the machine for linux-bench.com: 39031433352219