A month after I originally acquired this T500, I think it’s doing much better than it has previously in its past life, whatever that may have been. as I’ve probably mentioned, this came from colorado, near Denver. appropriate for the day? it is superbowl sunday. Denver and Seattle going head to head at Giants Stadium… I guess it can’t be helped.
so aside from a setback or two, the T500 is now in perfect operating condition, aside from a battery. I’m going to have to find something relatively cheap, though, and genuine at that, since the Power manager bitches at you if the battery isn’t “Lenovo legit”. I’m also looking into any AC power bricks with the standard IBM/Lenovo 20V barrel plug on it that are over 90w. so far my attempts to find such a monster is futile as anything over that has the old-style barrel plug, a weird square plug, a 4-pin plug or the weird trapezoid plug of olden. I did find out about a 170W brick that the W700 apparently uses? I’ll have to look into that.
I have a couple of games installed, such as UT2004, UT99, Sauerbraten, Minecraft through FeedTheBeast (which works surprisingly well), and some source games through my Steam account. these all work great with the Hd3650. I’ve also replaced the Intel WiFi Link 5100AGN with the older 4965AGN MM1, which is 3×2 compared to 1×2 for a 300Mbit connection. it seems to do well, and doesn’t seem to take any more power up than the 5100 did.
Since I’m also rocking the 1920×1200 panel now, I don’t think I’ll be able to move to anything less than this pixel density ever again on a mobile platform. I have to see if I can track down someone that makes good CCFL tube replacements for these laptops, and keep it safe for when this needs that replaced. the CCFL in this screen is already pretty old, taking a bit to warm up an such before it puts out its full brighness. it doesn’t phase me that much, though. it’s fine.
also, I was able to take it to the local Starbucks the other day; I’ll be going back there soon, as usual. Other things that aren’t as important but are, sorta, is that I now have 8GB of DDR3-1066 in it, and a 750GB HDD as the boot drive as well as a 1TB HDD screw-locked in the ultrabay for extra storage. All in all, I think I did a pretty good job in making use of resources I had on hand to make this all happen.